Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!!

Growing up in the south we always had the traditional southern new years day meal. And, this new year's day will be no different. Today we will be dining on ham, black-eyed peas, corn bread, and collard greens. My Mom has been in the kitchen all day making things and I'm really looking forward to it.

I found this little tidbit that talks about the New Year's Day meal.....

There is a Southern saying that dictates eating habits in the Southern United States' New Year's: "Eat poor on New Year's, eat fat the rest of the year." A traditional Southern New Year's meal includes ham, corn bread, black-eyed peas and collard greens. Both black-eyed peas and collard greens are considered especially lucky additions to the dinner table. Black-eyed peas are thought to bring wealth because they look like little coins, in addition to the fact that they swell when cooked -- a sure sign of prosperity. Collard greens are considered lucky because they are green, like greenbacks -- money!

I'm excited to start a new year and put 2008 behind me. It was definitely a year full of challenges for me. I have some goals I have set for myself this year that I'm excited about reaching. I don't want to write them down here for the whole world to see, but when I check them off my list, then I'll broadcast it!

I feel positive about this new year. I'm definitely in a better place personally then I was when 2008 rolled in. I'm looking forward to Travis coming home in May and having our family back together. I'm looking forward to our family moving to Japan and seeing a new part of the world and experiencing a new culture. This new year I want my family to experience more love, happiness, and fun.

So, here's to 2009!!
Happy New Year!!
Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!

4 comments:

Julie said...

My great grandmother always had us eat black eyed peas and pass silver across our palm on New Year's Day. We did both here in Norway this year! We are excited for your Japan assignment!

Jami said...

I'd never heard the saying but my family has kept the eat beans for prosperity in the new year tradition. My grandpa throws a feast on the 1st every year. Limas this year. We haven't had black-eyed peas in a few years. (That explains a lot!)

Japan sounds delightful. Hope you keep blogging once you move.

Jeni said...

I'd never heard of eating black eyes peas on New years until this year and now I've heard it a couple times! Of course not until the 2nd! LOL Maybe next year!

Meredith said...

We're excited about our Japan assignment too! And, yes I do plan to blog once we move! Have
a happy new year guys!