Thursday, January 08, 2009

How cool is this?

A week or so ago I posted about being in the deployment rut. I found a great poem online called "The Navy Wife" by Jeff Edwards and thought that it really described us. Maria, his wife, left me a very nice comment explaining that he wrote that for his Navy retirement. Because she was a Navy wife herself, she understands all that we go through trying to keep things together back home while our husbands are away. She was positive and reassuring and that really gave me the boost I needed that day.

Well, it turns out that her husband also writes books and has one out now called Torpedo. She was kind enough to send me an autographed copy! I was so touched by the note that Jeff wrote inside and that too gave me another boost that I needed. I feel like I've made a friend in Maria after just a few emails. She was right in saying that Navy families have a bond perhaps as strong as the ones we have with our genetic families.

I just started reading Torpedo while I was waiting in the Dr's office this morning and whizzed through 4 chapters in no time. It's intense reading from the beginning as it sucks you in and then you can't put it down. The main characters are being introduced now and he's so descriptive that you feel like you know them. It's good stuff! I'm anxious to see what happens next.

Check out Jeff Edwards website:
www.navythriller.com

2 comments:

areason2write said...

I am looking for books to take to India with me and I will definitely check this one out1

areason2write said...

I forgot to mention this - do you know about http://www.expat-blog.com/ you can register your blog there and find other blogs about ex-pats living in far away lands. I just signed up today. Happy writing!