Tuesday, March 24, 2009

42 days 'til Travis and 53 days 'til Cleveland

I have decided it's safe to start blogging about my training to walk the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon on May 17th. I have been training for more than 3 months and there's no going back now! My training has been going really well. I can see and feel definite changes in me since I started in that I'm getting faster and feel stronger. I did a 5 mile walk today in 1:10 and it felt really good.

So, why in the heck would I want to walk a marathon? Well, when I turned 40 I made a goal that I would complete a marathon.... well, attempt to anyway. It's something I feel the need to do; to start the process, train for it, and to see it through. I want to feel like I have accomplished something that is challenging. I guess it's a mid life thing too.... I want to be healthier.

I'm not a runner. I've tried it and I'm just not comfortable doing it for very long. But, I enjoy walking and I want the challenge of the marathon distance. I do plan to run some though because I want to finish it before they shut everything down and everyone goes home.

Travis is running the marathon and I'm sure he will finish in time to take a shower, eat lunch, and a quick nap before I'm done. He assured me though that he will be there to help me finish if I need it. I'm sure I will need lots of moral support and encouragement before it's over. Then lots of pain reliever.

6 comments:

areason2write said...

Hey Meredith! I did not know you could walk a marathon - I would like to do that - running does not appeal to me either! Good luck! And I LOVE your page layout!

ayearwithflatdaddy said...

I don't believe in running, it's against my religion, lol!!
I'm so impressed that you've stuck it out for so long, you're gonna do awesome!

Meredith said...

Ellen- Thanks! Yes, you can walk a marathon... the walkers just start WAY in the back of the pack. I hope I'm not the last one to finish... but even if I am that's OK.

Meredith said...

LOL, Thanks Mo! I'm in it for the long haul now and I've gotta see it through.

malvs2walk said...

Hi, Meredith! Glad you found me! I wish I could give you some advice that would make the first marathon better... but I don't think there is anything you haven't read that I could tell you. Sounds like your training is going well. 5 miles in 1:10 is a great pace! Just follow your training schedule, and make sure you get your long walks done. I know sometimes that may be difficult with small children, but do your level best. Learning how to hydrate properly and what to eat that agrees with you is also important. The only way to learn these things is by trial and error.
Good luck with your training, and just remember there is nothing that compares to completing a marathon the first time!
Maryann

Meredith said...

Hi Maryann! Thanks for your comment. I will stay on top of my long walks. As a matter of fact I have a 13 mile walk tomorrow. I have a feeling I'm going to be walking in the rain... but, you gotta do what ya gotta do!