Friday, March 27, 2009

Rain, rain, go away....


This is what it looked like when I got to the park this morning to do my long walk. It was raining pretty hard and the parking lot was empty. The parking lot is usually half full on most mornings when I'm there, so I immediately thought I must be the only crazy person out there that is willing to walk in the rain. I knew the forecast had rain in it, but I was thinking it would stop soon because it had been raining for 2 hours already.... Heck, it's been raining for 2 days already! So, I sat there for awhile waiting for it to stop...


This is what it looked like after 30 minutes of sitting in the car waiting for the rain to stop. It was raining harder then when I first got there! So, I finally decided I just needed to get out there and do it because my time was ticking away. I had this block of time planned for my long walk and all of the kids were taken care of in order for me to do this.... so I just had to do it. There was no way I could do 13 miles on a treadmill so I sucked it up and started walking.

It was miserable! In the first hour I thought about quitting so many times. Everything felt wrong, I couldn't get into my groove, and I didn't know how I was going to get through 13 miles of this. But, I hung in there and after the first hour I got used to being uncomfortable. It turns out I wasn't the only crazy person out there braving the elements, there were 2 others.

It finally stopped raining about 45 minutes before I finished my walk and I did 13 miles in 3:15. I wanted to have a better time, but I'm happy with that considering the weather. And, now I know what it will be like if it rains on race day.

4 comments:

Travis Mortimer said...

Looks beautiful...moisture in the air AND greenery! I'd give anything to be there now.
Keep up the good work with the training - May 16th will be here before you know it, we'll race, and then you'll be able to reat for a long time.
Love ya, T

Travis Mortimer said...

thats "rest" for a long time. Where's my auto-correct feature when I need it?
Love,
Travis

Meredith said...

Travis- I can't wait!! I love you.

malvs2walk said...

Great work, getting that long walk done in the rain. I have only had to do one really long walk in the cold rain and it was tough!

thanks for reading my race report!