Thursday, April 23, 2009

20 miles

Today was my longest walk before the marathon next month. Because it was such a long walk, I decided not to go to the same park I usually do, so I mapped out a course in advance in the new area we are moving to. There are miles and miles of sidewalks and it was a nice change. I started at 9:00 and the weather was great; sunny and clear. But it warmed up fast. The high today was 79 degrees.... the warmest day we've had so far and I realize now I should have started the walk 2 hours before I did.

The first 15 miles of the walk were good and I kept a strong 15 minute pace. But, by that time it was afternoon and getting hot and it was becoming really uncomfortable. The next couple of miles were grueling with no shade and the sun beating down on me. My sunscreen had worn off and I could feel myself getting burned. So, I decided to change locations and try to find some shade. I got in the car and drove down the road to a mile stretch that I walked earlier and thought that it would be easy to finish off my walk there. But, the shade was gone and there was just full sun, so I just sucked it up and started walking again. At this point I was pretty tired of the whole walk, and was just trying to finish it. The last 3 miles were pretty miserable and I started to slow down a little.

Overall I felt good and thought that it went well. Only 22 days to go to race day!

3 comments:

malvs2walk said...

Way to go, Meredith! the first time you walk 20 miles is the most difficult. You are going to do great at your marathon!

Meredith said...

Thanks a lot. I hope so :)

Julie said...

Good luck! Maybe a wide brimmed hat next time. You will be stylish and rockin' the marathon!