Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cleveland Rocks!!!

Travis and I went to Cleveland last weekend to participate in the Rite Aid Marathon. It was a chance for the two of us to have a much needed get away and for me to do my first marathon. It was a wonderful trip! The first day we walked around downtown and went to the Expo to get our race packets. We also stopped to eat lunch at Jake's Deli and had a very delicious reuben.... my favorite!
Cleveland has lots of buildings with beautiful architecture. It's a shame they don't design buildings like that anymore. I love walking around in a big city. I'm glad I don't live in a big city, but I enjoy visiting them.


Our hotel was right across the street from the Quicken Loans Arena. There was an Andre Rieu concert going on the night before the race.


This was a neat side street with lots of cool restaurants and clubs.

This was near the Civic Center where the Expo was and right across from Lake Superior.


More buildings...


This was on race morning right before it started. It was nice that our hotel was so close to the starting line that we were able to wake up just an hour before the race started and take our time getting there. It was a little chilly but it seemed like most people were dressed like it was freezing. When the race started they played the song "Cleveland Rocks" and it was so fun. I definitely want to have that song on my ipod now.


This is in the first 2 miles of the race near the Cleveland Browns Stadium ... check out the cool windmill. This is also near the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I thought this Nike picture was so cool... I have several different shots of it.


We are going over a bridge now... it was probably the biggest "hill" there was in the whole race... the rest of the course was flat, which was just perfect for me, the first timer.


Heading over this really cool bridge, which when looking to the right, gives you a great view of Cleveland.


Interesting architecture...


This is me at the 20 mile mark. The sign had blown over so I stopped to pick it up and it was then I realized how tired my legs were starting to get and I almost fell over trying to do it.


I was starting to really feel tired around mile 23 when Travis said I started getting hormonal. It felt like it was dragging on and on and on.... This was going through the last aid station and everyone was saying "only .50 mile to go!"


Only .20 mile to go... Travis told me to hurry up and go because the team in training folks that I had passed awhile back were gaining on me!


WOO HOO! I finished in 6:25:30 and it was the greatest feeling! When we got home Travis checked the race website for my standing and was excited to tell me that out of the marathon walkers I finished 2nd in the women's age 40-44 division. It feels so good to have actually set a goal, trained for it, and achieved it.


And, the finisher's medal was pretty sweet too!


6 comments:

Shannon Harris said...

and Of COURSE you look even tanner!!! Good job girl! Did Travis walk too? Or did someone else take your pictures?

Meredith said...

Thanks! Travis walked with me and was very helpful and supportive... he didn't get on my nerves at all. :)

malvs2walk said...

Wow, you did great in your first marathon! I am also very jealous that your hubby went along for support... mine would never dream of such a thing.

So, now that you have had a couple of days to think it over, when is the next one??
Maryann

Anonymous said...

I am sure that you are thankful it is over but so proud of yourself that you actually planned it all and trained and then most importantly - SUCCEEDED WITH FLYING COLORS. WAY TO GO GIRLFRIEND!!! Jody

Meredith said...

Maryann- This is day 4 post race and I can walk without being in pain now! I definitely want to do it again, I just need to find the right time and place. Any ideas?

The Douglass' said...

Great job!!!!