Monday, May 02, 2011

WV Race for Hope Half Marathon

This past weekend I ran my first half marathon of the year and was pleasantly surprised at my time since the last half I ran was at Thanksgiving.  I kicked butt and had a new PR!!  Woo- hoo!!!  It was in Elkins, WV on a beautiful rails to trails course.  It was the perfect first trail run for me because the course was relatively flat with soft, well packed gravel.  There was one long, steady hill  that seemed to go on forever but was only about 1.5 miles.  It was not terribly enjoyable going up that hill, but it was a treat going down!  The weather was cool, sunny and pleasant and I got a nice bit of sun and I'm still flying high today. 

I'm feeling sore today, but it's that good kind of sore that you feel like you've accomplished something. It feels good to get back into the swing of things again and I'm really looking forward to the next half marathon we have planned in Williamsburg, VA later this month.   We have the Hatfield- McCoy marathon in KY/WV scheduled for June and Travis plans to run the marathon and I'm running the half.  I think I'll stick with half's for now and maybe, just maybe, plan to do another marathon later this year. 

Tomorrow morning the base is having a 6 mile run and I'm debating on whether or not I should attempt it because it sounds like fun running from the upper base to the lower base, but that may be pushing it for me.  We'll see!  



No comments: